Tennessee country homes for sale including houses with large acreage or a small town neighborhood home.

City Data for Dyersburg, Tennessee

Dyersburg is a city in and the county seat of Dyer County, Tennessee, United States, 77 miles (124 km) north-northeast of Memphis on the Forked Deer River. The population was 17,452 at the 2000 census.

Geography

Dyersburg is located at (36. 039440, -89. 382766). The city's proximity to the New Madrid Fault Zone makes it an at-risk place to live.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 15. 1 square miles (39. 2 km²), of which, 15. 1 square miles (39. 0 km²) of it is land and 0. 1 square miles (0. 2 km²) of it (0. 53%) is water.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 17,452 people, 7,036 households, and 4,517 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,158. 7 people per square mile (447. 4/km²). There were 7,885 housing units at an average density of 523. 5/sq mi (202. 2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75. 68% White, 22. 02% African American, 0. 21% Native American, 0. 54% Asian, 0. 02% Pacific Islander, 0. 53% from other races, and 0. 99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1. 36% of the population.

There were 7,036 households out of which 31. 5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42. 4% were married couples living together, 17. 9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35. 8% were non-families. 30. 9% of all households were made up of individuals and 13. 1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2. 39 and the average family size was 2. 99.

In the city the population was spread out with 26. 3% under the age of 18, 9. 6% from 18 to 24, 27. 6% from 25 to 44, 21. 4% from 45 to 64, and 15. 0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 86. 5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82. 3 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $28,232, and the median income for a family was $34,754. Males had a median income of $30,898 versus $21,337 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,388. About 17. 4% of families and 20. 5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29. 5% of those under age 18 and 19. 0% of those age 65 or over.

Media

Newspapers

  • State Gazette - 6 days/week (Sunday-Friday); general news. The paper has served Dyersburg and Northwest Tennessee since 1865.
  • Radio stations

  • WASL-FM 100. 1 - "Real Rock Variety" - SL 100"
  • WTRO-AM 1450 - "The Greatest Hits of All Time"
  • WTNV FM 97. 3 - "The Eagle" (Country)
  • These stations are also the home of the legendary Tom Hunt, who has been a West Tennessee radio personality for over 25 years.

    History

    19th century

    The lands that make up Dyer County once belonged to the Chickasaw tribe. The final treaty by which they relinquished all of West Tennessee was signed in 1818.

    In 1823 the General Assembly of Tennessee passed an act to establish two new counties immediately west of the Tennessee River, Dyer County being one of them. John McIver and Joel H. Dyer donated for the new county seat, named Dyersburg, at a central location within the county known as McIver's Bluff. In 1825

    Homes for sale in Dyersburg, Tennessee

    This city information was provided courtesy of Wikipedia